Friday, January 6, 2012

Neuro Opthamology...psuedoscience

I saw a Neuro Ophthalmologist today at Georgetown University and as I suspected something may seriously be wrong with my vision. It is difficult to explain to someone when according to Amsler grid tests and the Ishihara color vision test my vision is perfect that my world has become hazy and not as sharp virtually overnight. In this sudden mild myopic trance,  I recall one of the scarce few metaphors bestowed upon me by my father: Nobody cares about your money as much as you. I can derive from this ephemeral fable that my wife who has worn glasses her whole life and whose spherical OD and Horizontal OS prescriptions are in the positive 6-8 range will not empathize. Being that I can still read a license plate off a car at night 50 feet in front of me, I can understand her lack of concern, however, this is my world my life. At a basketball game no one with court side tickets voluntarily moves to the nose bleed section. I dont want my view of the second half of the game to be from the cheap seats.

Thomas Aquinas believed in the existence of God and outlined a series of axioms to support his epistemology in his Summa Theologica (1265-1274). The most noted and often used is his conjecture that because of the complexities of the human eye, a supreme being beyond nature must exist, ie intelligent design. What makes his theory so special is that his ad priori postulate predates modern scientific dissection of the human eye. Juxtaposing higher primates corneal, retinal specificity as well as lens refractions it is clear that more than speech, and complex deduction, our eyes set homo sapiens apart from Chimps, Orangutangs etc. It is with this understanding and the relatively new field of topical lense refraction or photorefractive keratectomy, PRK where our depth of knowledge becomes hypothetical and the scientific method can no longer be applied. This is where I am, in this place of pseudo intellectual experts their co-pays and a hemorrhoid, you might know them by their technical acronym, HMO.

Ill let you know if the haze subsides if you promise to tell me if this blog is being read by someone other than me, myself, and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment